Barbara Jean Wright Court Apartments
- Barbara Jean Wright Courts is a 272-unit, low-rise, 40% family Section 8 community located at 1354 S Morgan Street, Chicago IL. The community was originally built in the 1970s in part because of the advocacy of Ms. Barbara Jean Wright.
- Located in a gentrifying neighborhood between Little Italy and the Lower West Side, just north of Pilsen, and immediately adjacent to the University of Illinois Chicago main campus.
- The 27 three and four-story brick structures, are located on an 11.5-acre site less than a 10-minute walk to the Orange Line.
- The property received a LIHTC rehab in 1999 and is now into its extended use period.
- Jonathan Rose Companies is currently planning to acquire the property in Winter 2021 and close on City of Chicago-issued Tax Exempt Bonds and 4% Low Income Housing Tax Credits. Upon acquisition, the property will immediately undergo approximately $35MM of renovations which will include the replacement of kitchens, bathrooms, flooring, painting, HVAC systems, and boilers.The capital plan also anticipates the new construction of a community building which will include multi-purpose rooms as well as offices for property management and resident services. Jonathan Rose Companies’ affiliate property manager, Rose Community Management, will manage the property upon acquisition. We look forward to introducing resident services that will enhance the investments that residents have already made to foster a community of opportunity.
Acquisition and preservation of a 272-unit, low-rise, 40% family Section 8 community located in Chicago, IL.
ANTICIPATED ACQUISITION: 2021
Total Project Size / Budget